River Cottage has certainly put the west country on the national map, but Dorset has always produced wonderful local goods both on the food side along with a wide variety of artists living and working in the area. We hope you will enjoy sampling all the things that are on offer and support the community by buying some of its produce while you are staying with us.
If you enjoy eating good locally produced food we can recommend the following:
There are numerous farmers markets locally, these will be itemised in the monthly tourist board print out.
There are several farm shops locally.
- Washingpool Farm Shop
- Winners Best Farm Shop in Dorset Food and Drink Awards in 2006 and 2007.
- Tel: 01308 459 549
- Modbury Farm Shop
- About 5 minutes from Court Close, turn left out of the gates and follow the road towards Burton Bradstock and the farm shop is on your right.
- Bridfish Smokery
- Bridfish in Bridport specialises in smoked products and a wide selection of fish. You can order by phone, website or by post as well as just calling in. Turn right towards Beaminster at the first roundabout as you enter Bridport, Bridfish is in a small industrial unit about 300 yards on your left.
- Tel: 01308 456 306
- Samways Fish Merchants, West Bay
- A highly recommended fish shop. You can also buy online with delivery. Shortly moving to Briport. www.samwaysfish.com
- Framptons, Bridport. Situated on the junction by main traffic lights in centre of town.
- Tel: 01308 423 124
- Leakers Bakery, 29 East Street, Bridport
- Tel: 01308 423 296
Beaminster is a small town North of Bridport which also has very good independent stores specializing in local produce. It is well worth a visit.